The Circular Economy Package
14th March 2018
The final content of the Circular Economy Package has been released by the EU, although it is yet to be agreed by EU parliament.
Some of the key elements are listed below:
- A reduction in food waste of 30% by 2025 and 50% by 2030
- A requirement to provide incentives for waste holders to separate waste for recycling eg pay as you throw.
- Producers (under extended producer responsibility) to pay at least 50% of the net costs of collection, sorting and recycling necessary to meet targets (within 54 months of the date of entry of the directive)
- Separate collections of household hazardous waste and textiles by 2025
- Separate collections of bio-waste by 2023